Re: st: Stat/Transfer 9 already defaults to Stata 10, so be careful

From   SR Millis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stat/Transfer 9 already defaults to Stata 10, so be careful
Date   Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

Wow...thanks, Richard!

Just one more reason to go to R.

SR Millis

--- Richard Williams <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Here is a quirky little problem in case anyone else
> encounters it:  I
> got Stat/Transfer 9 today as well as its upgrade
> patch.  I was
> puzzled because Roger Newson's -stcmd- and -inputst-
> commands
> (available from SSC) suddenly stopped working right
> - specifically I
> got error messages to the effect that the files
> created were not in
> Stata format.  It finally occurred to me that
> Stat/Transfer 9 was
> probably already defaulting to Stata 10 format.  At
> least until I get
> Stata 10, that is not a good thing, and it will
> never be good for
> someone who doesn't get Stata 10.
>
> Here is the workaround I came up with: in the folder
>  C:\Program
> Files\StatTransfer9 (or wherever the program is
> located) create a
> file called profile.stc.  That file should contain
> the line
>
> set write-old-ver 9
>
> or, if you prefer, 8 or 7 or whatever.  If you are
> running the
> command processor interactively, you can give the
> set write-old-ver
> command interactively as well.  If you are running
> Stat/Transfer via
> the Windows interface, in Options (4) you can set
> the version of
> Stata you want (but this only seems to apply when
> using the Windows interface).
>
> One other tidbit: Stat/Transfer 9 now uses an
> activation code
> system.  As I understand it, the software can only
> be installed on
> one machine at a time, although you can de-activate
> and re-activate
> on another machine.  I don't mind reasonable
> copy-protection, but
> personally I think most software should be usable on
> both a desktop
> and a laptop by the same person.  You can have both
> versions 8 and 9
> installed at the same time, so you may wish to also
> keep 8 installed
> if you already have it.

> OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
> HOME:   (574)289-5227
> EMAIL:  [email protected]
> WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam

> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Scott R Millis, PhD, MEd, ABPP (CN,CL,RP)
Professor & Director of Research
Dept of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Wayne State University School of Medicine
261 Mack Blvd
Detroit, MI 48201

/ `--'(
\_.--.(

Email:  [email protected]
Tel: 313-993-8085
Fax: 313-966-7682
This electronic message may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named as recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or
take any action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you.