st: RE: RE: RE: ranksum: p-value?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: ranksum: p-value?
Date   Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:20:34 +0100

Thanks to Nick for the reference.

I would agree that one c-index with confidence limits (or the difference
between 2 such c-indices) is more interesting than the corresponding
P-value. However, P-values may come into their own when we calculate a
lot of them, as in a genome scan, and want to use them in a
multiple-test procedure. If the sample size is not too large, then the
test-based P-value, calculated by -ranksum- using a test-based standard
error, may be a more reliable P-value than that currently produced by
-somersd-, using an estimation-based standard error. This
estimation-based standard error may collapse to zero if Somers' D (and
therefore the c-index) is one, implying a zero P-value which possibly
shouldn't be trusted far in a small sample. Therefore, -ranksum- and
-ktau- are complementary to -somersd-.

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics