RE: Re: Re: st: How to loop over non-integers?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: Re: st: How to loop over non-integers?
Date   Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:16:14 +0100

The problem you guess at is not familiar to me.

By and large, what is not in the archives
was never sent (i.e. distributed) to the list.

The most usual reasons for postings not appearing are
that

1. People attempt to post from addresses not known
to the list, so that the list thinks that they are
not members.

2. The majordomo software catches some posts with
attachments and some with HTML or MIME encoding; however,
attachments and encoded messages manifestly do sometimes
appear.

3. Other filters also operate.

No one on the list appears to be
an expert in the internals of majordomo, so it
is difficult to be less enigmatic than that.

I know that some messages I send never appear
without apparent reason.

However, there is one rule of thumb: anything
that you send to the list that is distributed
will also be sent to you as a member. So
all valid postings should bounce back -- usually
but not invariably a few minutes later. As
some lists work otherwise -- allstat for example
sends you nothing back on a posting except e-junk
about invalid addresses -- this may be worth
bearing in mind.