Re: st: mlogit, mfx2, predict and a bug?

Subject   Re: st: mlogit, mfx2, predict and a bug?
Date   Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:12:38 -0400

At 05:35 AM 6/7/2007, Stephan Brunow wrote:
Dear Statalisters,

there might be a bug in STATA.
Here is what we did in short:

.mlogit...
.outreg2...
.mfx2...
.predict (probabilities of all choices)

Then we looked for the maximum of the choice probabilities to get a
hypothetical choice and tabulate it with the true choice. Obviously, some of
our categogies did not get chosen by the model at all.
However, if we do

.mlogit
.predict (probabilities of all choices)

And do the same thing to compare modeled maximum choice and true choice, weg
et a <normal> result where all choices are met to some extend.

Is there a bug or what might be the reason?!
Without seeing the full commands and the output, it is difficult to assess what the problem is. outreg2 and mfx2 are user-written commands, so if there is a bug I'd be more likely to think it is in those programs than in official Stata. Did you happen to use the -replace- option with -mfx2-? If so, that could cause you problems, because it changes the active results.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam