st: RE: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2718 / Stata 10 announcement

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2718 / Stata 10 announcement
Date   Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:27:09 +0100

I think Allan is missing the issue here. To repeat points
made earlier in the thread, being able to read Stata 10
data files is the least of the problems. It is ensuring that
the rest of Stata 9 works properly when Stata 10 datasets
are in memory that would be crucial. So, for example, as Stata 9
has no concept of a date-time variable, such a variable
would have to be degraded to a plain -double- variable. In
that way, and others, Stata 9 users could gain no benefit
from any of the new functionality -- unless the last update
of Stata 9 were almost to make it Stata 10.

In addition, Stata 10 data files will only be available
to you if friends and colleagues have Stata 10. If those
people don't provide readable files for you, then the
solution is to be sought from them. The problem is hardly
to be blamed on StataCorp, who have long since provided -saveold-
(or -save, old-) functionality.

It is always awkward when, usually as a matter of personal
or institutional finances, some Stata users get left behind,
but that's the way it is. Conversely, why should those who
can pay for upgrade be expected to subsidise a large amount of
programming effort that would benefit only those who don't
pay for upgrade?

The comparison with Microsoft is ridiculous. StataCorp's
technical competence and good treatment of users put it in a
completely different league.

Allan Reese