st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2718 / Stata 10 announcement

From   "Allan Reese \(Cefas\)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #2718 / Stata 10 announcement
Date   Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:02:48 +0100

Alan Riley replied to Richard Williams on behalf of StataCorp: We will in fact put out a final update to Stata 9, likely shortly after Stata 10 ships.  However, this update will not include the ability to read Stata 10 files.  As Nick pointed out, our solution for users who need to share datasets across versions is the -saveold- command.
---

With respect, that is what I call the Microsoft attitude: we assume (know / instruct) that everyone will upgrade and willingly accept any changes that we've made.  "Poor relations" who can't keep up will have to rely on "proper" users remembering to adapt their hand-me-downs.

It incidentally shields the "poor relation" from knowing what was lost when the file was converted to old format.

Since the code to read a new format file and to write an old format file must exist within Stata 10, what is the problem in adding a module "read Stata 10 file" to the last update of version 9?  Or was the stuff I was taught about modular programming in the 1970s just hot air?

It's made me wonder whether the guy carving the Rosetta stone was muttering the whole time, "Why can't these old Egyptians just learn Greek?"

Allan

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.  Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender.  In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of the organisation from which it is sent.  All emails may be subject to monitoring.