Re: st: How to test for equality of variance in data with sampling weights

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to test for equality of variance in data with sampling weights
Date   Fri, 25 May 2007 10:17:41 -0500

The substantive answer to your question would run as follows: the
variance is a function of moments (the second moment minus the square
of the first moment), so what you could do is

gen income2 = income*income
svy: mean income2 income, over(whatevergroup)
* over groups
nlcom [income2]1 - ([income]1)^2
* between groups
testnl ([income2]1 - ([income]1)^2 = [income2]2 - ([income]2)^2 )

The syntax is very tentative of course -- you would need to fill in a
lot of details. But you really need to take care of all the design
features, as Steven insists.

The World Bank should get a methodology division to be able to answer
questions like that internally -- I was surprised that you guys don't
have any.