st: Tsset question: calculating returns using daily prices - weekend issue

From   "Nuno" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Tsset question: calculating returns using daily prices - weekend issue
Date   Mon, 7 May 2007 21:56:49 +0100

Hi everyone,

I have a sample that is composed of daily (date) share prices (prc) for a
set of companies identified by id. I wanted to calculate the daily return
for each share. In order to do this I used the tsset command:

tsset id date, daily
gen ret=prc/l.prc-1

However, given that stocks are not traded during the weekend, the gen
command generates a missing value every Monday (in the example I attach the
gap for share 1 from 10-Jan to 20-jan generates a missing return). Is there
a way of avoiding this problem, ie, that the l. operator gets the previous
time observation even if it isn't the one from the previous day?
I know that I can solve this problem by doing:

sort id date
by id: gen ret=prc/prc[_n-1]-1

But I would like to know if this can also be achieved using the l. operator.

All the best,

Nuno

id	date		prc		ret
1	01jan2000	.8814709