st: Tsset question: calculating returns using daily prices - weekend issue

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Tsset question: calculating returns using daily prices - weekend issue
Date   Tue, 8 May 2007 06:47:49 -0400

sacrificial goat

This is precisely the issue dealt with in Stata Tip 40:
http://ideas.repec.org/a/tsj/stataj/v7y2007i1p137-139.html

Essentially you establish two calendar variables for the data: the second a sequential integer based on trading days. Sort the data based on a dummy (price < .) and your existing date variable, which will percolate the missings to the end, and generate t = _n if price < . -- if you then tsset t, you are looking at the data in 'market time'. You can always return the data to calendar time with tsset date. This trick was discussed by David Drukker at NASUG'2006 in Boston.

If the Stata Journal is not in your university library, bug the library about it, or subscribe yourself! Well worth it.

Kit

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html