st: Tobit interpretation and post estimation

From   "Elena Giarda" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Tobit interpretation and post estimation
Date   Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:38:38 +0200

Dear Statalisters,

We estimated a tobit model for the household debt (only consumer debt, no mortgages) as a function of several explicative variables, among which age, age-squared, income, income-squared, wealth, wealth-squared and some socio-economic dummy variables.

We decided to estimate a tobit model because of censoring: among our households (about 6500), 3373 have positive consumer debt, the remaining are censored at zero.

All variables are significant and of the right sign.

Our problem is how to predict the estimated values. In fact, if we use "predict" or "predict, ystar(min,max)" we obtain very small values of household debt (both using levels and logs of the dependent variable), possibly caused by a large negative estimated constant.

We are not sure whether we are using the "predict" command properly.

Does any of you have any suggestions on how to obtain predicted values in a tobit model?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

Elena and Cristiana

Elena Giarda
Prometeia - Associazione per le Previsioni Econometriche
Via G. Marconi, 43
40122 Bologna
Italy

e-mail : [email protected]