Re: st: Problem with pagesize when using translator smcl2ps to convert smcl-logfiles to ps-documents

From   "Sebastian F. B�chte" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem with pagesize when using translator smcl2ps to convert smcl-logfiles to ps-documents
Date   Wed, 7 Feb 2007 13:44:57 +0100

David,

thanks for your reply. FreePDF v3.7.2 has no problem with page size, I
have checked that now.

Many of those free pdf creators are using as underlying technology
Ghostscript (currently v8.54). So I got me the program GSView4.8 which
can be used to view and print postscript .files. I further created a
log file merely containing 1000 text lines like this:
<snip>
Line no: 848 Just a line of text
Line no: 849 Just a line of text
Line no: 850 Just a line of text
Line no: 851 Just a line of text
<snip>

Then I created ps-files from my smcl-log either using pagesize A4 or
pagesize letter. And I found out, it just does not make any difference
to the converter. It is the smcl2ps converter that creates the pages
and determines how many lines should be on a page. So I viewed all
output in GSView and found that regardless of my specified pagesize
-US letter or A4 - there were always the same number of textlines on
the page.

However, I thought of some alternative that was specifying a custom
pagesize, an A4 page is 210 mm (approx. 8.26 inch) wide and 297 mm
(approx. 11.69 inch) long, so I entered the following into the Stata
command window:

translator set smcl2ps pagesize custom
translator set smcl2ps pagewidth 8.2677165
translator set smcl2ps pageheight 11.692913
translator query smcl2ps
translate mylog.smcl mylog_210x297.ps, replace

And guess what, now the ps-file holds more lines than before and less
characters per line also. So, I am fine with this.

To conclude I would say the -translator set smcl2ps pagesize a4- does
not yield the intended results which could be possibly a bug somewhere
in the translator "smcl2ps"

Sebastian