Re: st: xline

From   "Eric G. Wruck" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xline
Date   Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:15:47 -0500

Thanks, Sebastian & Nick.

Regarding the online _help_, I looked for that, first by trying _help xline_ but then also in wandering around the graph help & never could find anything on xline.  After reading your eMail, Nick, I tried

help axis_label_options

& couldn't find anything on xline there either.  Granted, I still would have needed the non-trick trick, but I have to say that searching the on-line help was frustrating (perhaps too because I've gotten a bit rusty with Stata due to health issues over the past year or more).

Eric

>Good answers have already been posted, but the question
>remains of why you thought that the -xline()- option
>might perform in the way you wanted, so that misunderstanding
>needs elucidation.
>
>There are two issues here.
>
>The first is that the on-line _help_, here for -axis label options-, specifies what kind of input is acceptable. The trick that Michael Blasnik specified
>
>`=d(5jan2007)'
>
>is not explicit in that help, nor should it have been -- unless it is considered acceptable to spell out almost everywhere
>in the help that you can use that trick to specify input. (It could in
>principle be relevant to _every_ command.) By the way, I say "trick" but that is just light-hearted. There is no dodge or work-around: it is
>a perfectly straightforward device in Stata...
>

>Eric G. Wruck
>
>I am working on a graph & want to insert vertical lines for various
>dates, time being the x-axis.  It seems xline will not accept
>expressions or variable names, as I have tried, for example:
>
>xline(d(5jan2007))
>
>or
>
>xline(scan1)
>
>where scan1 was previously defined in the .do file with
>
>gen scan1 = d(5jan2007)
>
>The only way I get the thing to work is to have xline(17171), but I
>don't want to have to look up all the dates by hand.  Does someone
>know an easier way to handle this?
>*
>*   For searches and help try:
>*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html