RE: st: option -robust- for -glm- and -poisson-

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: option -robust- for -glm- and -poisson-
Date   Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:32:56 -0000

I agree with most of what Maarten says. The -robust- option is indeed
robust to heteroskedasticity and/or overdispersion and/or
underdispersion at the price of being less robust to small sample
numbers. However, the -robust- option of -glm-, in default, does not use
the assumption that the mean is specified correctly. If the
user-specified model is linear, and the true relationship is a little
bit curved, then the robust 95% confidence interval for the slope of the
best-fit straight line for the sample should asymptotically, in 95% of
samples, contain the slope of the best-fit straight line for the
population. This population best-fit slope may be a useful thing to
know, even if the true relationship is not exactly linear. This is
because (as George Box said) all models are wrong, but some are not too
far wrong to be useful. This issue is discussed in Subsection 3.6 of
Hardin and Hilbe (2001).

It is not necessarily true that the Huber confidence interval is always
narrower than the maximum-likelihood confidence interval. It may be
either wider or narrower. In the simple case of the unequal-variance
t-test (which uses a Huber standard error), two good definitive
references are Moser et al. (1989) and Moser and Stevens (1992). In this
case, the confidence interval from the equal-variance t-test is too
narrow if the smaller sub-sample is from the more variable
sub-population, and is too wide if the smaller sub-sample is from the
less variable sub-population. This is because the equal-variance t-test
estimates the population variability of the smaller of 2 samples using
the sample variability of the larger sample, while the unequal-variance
t-test estimates the population variability of the smaller sample using
the sample variability of the smaller sample. Note, however, that, in
the case of the unequal-variance t-test, we calculate the confidence
interval using the t-distribution, with the degrees of freedom given by
Satterthwaite's formula. This is in contrast to -glm-, which calculates
the confidence interval using the Normal distribution, and therefore,
with small samples, probably gives too-narrow confidence intervals more
often than too-wide confidence intervals. Work seems to be in progress
to find a generalized Satterthwaite degrees-of-freedom formula for the
general Huber variance (eg Lipsitz and Ibrahim, 1999).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger

References

Hardin J ,Hilbe J. Generalized Linear Models and Extensions. College
Station, TX: Stata Press; 2001.

Lipsitz SR, Ibrahim JG. A degrees-of-freedom approximation for a
t-statistic with heterogeneous variance. The Statistician 1999; 48(Part
A): 495-505.

Moser BK, Stevens GR, Watts CL. The two-sample t-test versus
Satterthwaite's approximate F-test. Communications in Statistics -
Theory and Methods 1989; 18(11): 3963-3975.

B. K. Moser and G. R. Stevens. Homogeneity of variance in the
two--sample means test. The American Statistician 1992; 46(1): 19-21.

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London