Re: st: A problem with -pstest- command

From   "Alvaro Zevallos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: A problem with -pstest- command
Date   Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:45:30 -0500

Hi Nick!

I appreciate your comments. I�ll try to make my question clearer.

Let�s say that the following variables are in my database:

y = Outcome
t = Treatment Indicator
x1 = Covariate
x2 = Covariate

Then, I formulate the command line, in Stata, to obtain the ATT estimate

. psmatch2 t x1 x2 , out(y) caliper(0.05) com ties

and immediately afterwards

. pstest x1 x2

This command, -pstest-, calculates the "Standardised Bias Before Matching" (SB
before) and the "Standardised Bias After Matching" (SB after) for x1 and x2
suggested by Rosenbaum and Rubin (1985). Following the equation as seen in
Caliendo and Kopeinig (2005):

"Standardised Bias Before Matching"

SBbeforej = (M1(xj) - M0(xj)) / (0.5(V1(xj) + V0(xj)))^(0.5)
for j=1,2

let�s say

SBbeforej= Aj / Bj

where

M1(xj) = Mean of variable xj for all treated individuals
M0(xj) = Mean of variable xj for all Non-treated individuals
V1 (xj) = Variance of variable xj for all treated individuals
V0 (xj) = Variance of variable xj for all Non-treated individuals

Aj = numerator of SBbeforej
Bj = denominator of SBbeforej

and,

"Standardised Bias After Matching"

SBafterj = (M1m(xj) - M0m(xj)) / (0.5(V1m(xj) + V0m(xj)))^(0.5)
for j=1,2

Let�s say

SBafterj=Cj / Dj

where

M1m(xj) = Mean of variable xj for matched treated individuals
M0m(xj) = Mean of variable xj for matched Non-treated individuals
V1m(xj) = Variance of variable xj for matched treated individuals
V0m(xj) = Variance of variable xj for matched Non-treated individuals

Cj = numerator of SBafterj
Dj = denominator of SBafterj

I thing that there are a problem with -pstest- command because it calculates
SBafter as :

SBafterj = (M1m(xj) - M0m(xj)) / (0.5(V1(xj) + V0(xj)))^(0.5)

Let�s say

SBafterj=Cj / Bj

As we can observe, the denominator of the SBafterj should be Dj.

Would somebody help me to understand why this happens?

Alvaro Z.

----- Original Message ----- From: "n j cox" <[email protected]>