RE: RE: st: RE: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances - thanks

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: RE: st: RE: RE: -oneway- and unequal variances - thanks
Date   Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:43:54 -0000

One possibility (requiring several unofficial Stata packages) would be
to proceed as follows:

1. Use -somersd- to produce a confidence interval and a P-value for
Somers' D comparing rates of return in each pair of groups.

2. Use -parmest- to save each of these confidence intervals in an output
dataset (or resultsset) with 1 observation and variables containing the
estimate, confidence limits and P-value.

3. Use -dsconcat- to concatenate all these output datasets (or
resultssets) into one long output dataset (or resultsset), with 1
observation for each pair of groups compared, and data on the Somers' D
parameter comparing these two groups, with its confidence limits and
P-value.

4. Use -smileplot- to enter all these P-values into a multiple-test
procedure (eg the Simes procedure), and thereby define a subset of
pairwise group differences which are "significant", even considering the
fact that there are multiple comparisons.

The -somersd-, -parmest-, -dsconcat- and -smileplot- packages are
downloadable from SSC if you need the most recent version (for Stata 9
users), or from my website at
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/
(using the -net- command in Stata) if you want an earlier version of the
package in a previous Stata version. More papers and presentations about
resultsset-processing, and about -somersd-, and about multiple-test
procedures and smile plots, can be downloaded from my website at
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/r.newson/

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger