Re: st: metan v9 update

Subject   Re: st: metan v9 update
Date   Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:51:33 -0500

Nick et al.--
Just to be clear, I am not asking for an evaluation per se, or a
comparison of strengths and weaknesses, or other matters of opinion,
but a paragraph stating some obvious differences in implementation,
and if appropriate, a set of circumstances under which alternative
programs might be preferred (or produce identical results--a useful
bit of info for writing a test script).

Perhaps an example [taken from the kernel() option description] from
the help for -ivreg2- (my go-to reference for good help files) can
illustrate my idea:
"
Stata's official newey implements HAC standard errors based on the
Bartlett kernel, and requires the user to specify the maximum number
of lags used and not the bandwidth; see help newey.
"
The thing is, there is no official Stata meta-analysis command, and
there seems to be some unclear degree of overlap in user-written
commands.  I was hoping an author of one (who has posted to the list
recently) might offer some insight (if not in the help file, perhaps
on the list).