st: RE: Re: RE: Fixed-effects, unbalanced panel and time-invariant variable

Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: Fixed-effects, unbalanced panel and time-invariant variable
Date   Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:24:36 +0100

Barbara,

I think the problem you face comes down to the implication of failing
the Hausman fe-vs.-re test.

The FE estimator uses only the orthogonality conditions that the
regressors are uncorrelated with the idiosyncratic error e_ij.

The RE estimator uses these, plus the orthogonality condition that the
regressors are also uncorrelated with the shared group error u_j.

The null of the Hausman test is that both sets of orthogonality
conditions are valid.  The usual interpretation of a failure of the
Hausman test is that the regressors are uncorrelated with e_ij
(maintained under the null and alternative) but correlated with u_j
(used by RE).

The FE estimator is able to get consistent estimates for coeffs on
time-varying variables because the within transformation wipes out the
u_j, but of course this also wipes out the time-invariant variables.

If I understand the situation correctly, there are two ways around the
problem.

First, the correlation of the u_j might not involve the TI variables.
This is the FE+BE suggestion of Rodrigo (I think - hopefully he'll
correct me if I'm wrong).  FE gets you consistent coeffs on the TV
variables, and BE gets you consistent coeffs on the TI variables.
...But only if you're willing to believe that E(x u_j)=0 for all the TI
xs.

Second, you can use IV if you have instruments that are correlated with
the TI variables and not with the u_j.

I am not sure I understand your reference to xthtayor and "no endogenous
variables".  The failure of the Hausman test suggests that some
regressors are correlated with the u_j; this makes them endogenous by
definition.

HTH.

Cheers,
Mark