st: greek on graphs [Was: One Wish]

From   Roger Harbord <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: greek on graphs [Was: One Wish]
Date   Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:24:25 +0100

I've wished for this too. Maybe in Stata 10... In the meantime if you really must have one or two greek letters on just one or two figures for a journal, one hack is to export the graph from Stata as an eps file and then insert a bit more postscript code by hand. Clearly far from ideal for routine work though.

I found the info at <http://www.tailrecursive.org/postscript/text.html> invaluable in figuring out how to do this. Note that all measurements in postscript are in points, i.e. 72nds of an inch. You need to find a font that's installed on your system that includes greek letters - for Windows users there's the "Symbol" font. You also need to figure out what the corresponding character is in standard ASCII e.g. using "Character Map" utility in Windows (Start -> Run -> charmap). You then insert a few lines of postscript before the "showpage" command at the very end of the file.

e.g. to add an alpha and a theta to my graph, i inserted :

%%% start hack to add greek letters %%%
/Symbol findfont % "Symbol" font includes greek letters
10 scalefont % font size in points
setfont
newpath
100 72 moveto
(a) show % alpha
150 80 moveto
(q) show % theta
%%% end hack to add greek letters %%%%

The precise positioning (100 72 for alpha and 150 80 for theta) was trial-and-error, although taking a ruler to a print-out gives you a good starting point.

Luckily i didn't need any hats, which would appear possible (suitable characters exist in the Symbol font) but even more fiddly to get the size and position right.

Roger.