RE: st: Stata vs SPSS

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata vs SPSS
Date   Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:03:04 +0100

Surprisingly or not, I believe that
the attitude this person was expressing
is defensible, although I would naturally
express it differently.

It does nobody in statistical science any
good long term if the possibilities of prediction
from time series models are oversold.

For example, I guess that a standard marketing
question is predicting the likely sales of a new product.

In such cases, there is typically little (relevant) data,
a poor understanding of the underlying principles,
and very high sensitivity to future unknowns.

I doubt that the smartest analysts with the smartest
models can do much more than make a dent on an
intrinsically hard problem.

After all, Clive, what is your prediction for the results
of the next British election and how far is that
based on time series modelling?

Clive Nicholas