st: RE: r2 in -streg-/-stcox-

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: r2 in -streg-/-stcox-
Date   Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:04:26 +0200

Nishant
In your case I'd look at AICs and BICs since you want to compare non-nested
models. -estout- will allows the options aic and bic, even if these statistics
aren't "ereturned". However I wouldn't rely only on one statistic (or two pretty
similar statistics) to choose between models. For instance for -stcox- and
some of the -streg- models you'll want to check the proportional hazard
assumption. Also for -streg- you will probably want to check whether you have
used the right model. A very short overview of some methods that could help
you choose a model in -streg- can be found on page 13 of my introduction to
survival analysis text. http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/wp/survival.html . Also see
the excellent book by Mario Cleves, William W. Gould, and Roberto Gutierrez
 "An Introduction to Survival Analysis Using Stata, Revised Edition" from
Stata Press 2004. You can get this book from the Stata bookstore
http://www.stata.com/bookstore/saus.html

HTH,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis