RE: st: [merging US industry level data]

From   "White, Justin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: [merging US industry level data]
Date   Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:06:02 -0400

By looking at the NAICS codes, you would think you can aggregate up.
But there are problems with using this approach.  I am assuming that
Rohit is using QCEW (Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages) data from
BLS.  I would highly not recommend aggregating up.  That is why BLS
releases data at the various NAICS levels.  There are rounding issues
and most importantly there are disclosure issues.  The disclosures
issues protect small industries where there are fewer than 3 firms in a
particular NAICS in a particular geographic location or 1 firm that I
believe has 70% of the employment in that NAICS.

This is why it is crucial to download both 3-digit and 4-digit NAICS and
then append them together.  I have a few do files I have written that
does this.  Let me know if you would like to look at them.

Justin White