Re: st: Books recommendataion?

Subject   Re: st: Books recommendataion?
Date   Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:43:48 -0500

At 03:18 PM 9/15/2006, vora n wrote:
Hi all,

Could anyone plese recommend some good books
(or internet sources) that teach how to write stata
programs (ADO files)? The ones that are for beginners.

Thank you very much.

Vora
My first choice would be the Stata User's Guide. It provides a good intro to many aspects of Stata, including programming. It is probably my favorite of all the Stata manuals.

My second choice would be the Programming manual. It is a lot more in-depth but it is more like a reference for those who already have some idea of what they are doing.

My third choice is Stata's Maximum Likelihood book, which is very good for more heavy-duty programming.

All of these are in the Stata Book Store.

There is all sorts of freebie stuff for learning Stata at

http://www.stata.com/links/resources1.html

However, I'm not sure how much, if any, those sources cover programming.

In addition, I'll note that it is easy enough to view all the ado files that come with Stata and from other sources. You can learn a lot just by going through other programs.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]