Re: st: downloading packages from SSC

From   "Alan Neustadtl" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: downloading packages from SSC
Date   Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:41:05 -0400

There is a free software service that I use that you and others might
find useful.  It is called "Foldershare" and you can find it at
www.foldershare.com.

If your computers are on the Internet all the time, this works well,
but it can also be used even if you only periodically go online.  I
have one folder of personal ado files on my two computers, one at work
and one at home.  Foldershare watches both folders and updates files
as they are changed.  I no longer worry about synchronization,
carrying flash cards, diskettes, zip drives, etc.  There are lots of
options about how to synchronize and it is very fast even with large
files--I keep my data files in another folder and they are upto date
as well.  For example, if I enter "update ado, update"  both of my
computers are updated.  This also give me a backup o fmy files
automatically since they exist on two computers simultaneously.

One other feature, although I don't use it, is to share folders with
others--people you wiork with, family members, etc. can be invited to
share (with all sorts of read/write options) any folder you want.

Best,
Alan

On 9/11/06, Richard Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
At 05:20 AM 9/11/2006, David Winter wrote:
>As Nick Cox suggested, a clean fix would be to download the package from
>SSC which would install the missing components.  This is not an option
>for me.  Is it possible to download the packages from SSC to a third
>party media and then install them on my LAN?  We do not have a copy of
>Stata on any of the machines we use for independent access to the
>internet.

You can go here to download the files:

http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s431301.html

You'll have to place them where Stata can find them.

However, are you absolutely positively sure you can't get an
Internet-connected machine with Stata on it?  Personally, I just
periodically copy c:\ado from one machine onto another so that all of
my ado files are in sync with each other.  Manually installing files
is cumbersome and is prone to error.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX:    (574)288-4373
HOME:   (574)289-5227