st: downloading packages from SSC

From   "David Winter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: downloading packages from SSC
Date   Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:20:15 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

I am running Stata 9 SE on several machines on a stand-alone LAN.  The
LAN is air-gapped for security reasons.

A colleague went to the StataJournal site to download the .ado file and
help file for the 'stcompet' command - we want to do some cumulative
estimation of competing risks in cancer data.  Running this command on
the example data from Enzo Coviello ( article in Stata Journal (2004) 4,
Number 2, pp 103-112) produced an error message: unrecognised command:
levels 7.  Nick Cox posted a response to this error on 3rd Aug 2006.

As Nick Cox suggested, a clean fix would be to download the package from
SSC which would install the missing components.  This is not an option
for me.  Is it possible to download the packages from SSC to a third
party media and then install them on my LAN?  We do not have a copy of
Stata on any of the machines we use for independent access to the
internet.

Regards,

Dave

Mr David L. Winter, HNC
I.T. Manager
Centre for Childhood Cancer Survivor Studies
Department of Public Health & Epidemiology
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 2TT