Re: Unix text editor issues (was: st: mulitple comments using //and #d;)

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Unix text editor issues (was: st: mulitple comments using //and #d;)
Date   Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Michael,

Sadly, I agree with everything you say about the convenience or greater
value of more advanced text editors on unix.  Unfortunately, they are not
and will not be available to me in the foreseeable future.

So, it really comes down to this: does the -delimit- command force anyone
to use it?  As the answer is no, I don't see why there is this interest in
getting rid of a command someone else is using.  I mean, I may not like to
use seemingly unrelated regressions in my work, but to act on my dislike I
need only ignore those models as options for my research.  I don't have to
advocate for the removal of the -sur- command from stata.

Perhaps one day I will have access to a more advanced unix text editor,
and time to learn it.  That'd be cool.  :-)  But, whether or not that
happens, there is no harm in maintaining a command others have found
useful, a command that is probably already embedded in tens of thousands
of programs around the world, its implications written at the end of
millions of stata code all over the globe.

Smilingly yours,

Sam