Re: st: RE: RE: Prober Instrument for GMM xtabond2

From   Giovanni Bruno <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Prober Instrument for GMM xtabond2
Date   Tue, 18 Jul 2006 10:51:11 +0200

>Jo Gardener <[email protected]>:

> Thanks a lot Jean,
> this is what I also thought after reading again through the AB-article and
> the Baltagi book. However, there are some working papers on the net, that
> clearly state, that if there is autocorrelation of 2. order then simply take
> lags of order 3. or higher as instruments.
>
> I think, also the answer of M. Parameswaran shows, that this is a common
> mistake.

I would not regard this as a mistake. Autocorrelation
of order 2 in differenced residuals is certainly
evidence against the validity of lags of order 2 as
instruments, but not necessarily against lags of
order 3 and further.

Think about a more general Arellano and Bond model with
errors in levels that follow an MA(1) process. In this
case the errors in first differences will exhibit
autocorrelation of order 1 and 2 but not of order 3 and
further, so that lags of order three and further are
still valid instruments.

I think this is the rationale motivating the exclusion of
lags of order 2 in some empirical applications. In particular
this is the approach followed in Bond and Meghir (1994),
where you can find a detailed discussion of the issue.

Stephen Bond, Costas Meghir (1994)
"Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy"
The Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 61, No. 2. (Apr., 1994),
pp. 197-222.

Giovanni

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:46:52 -0400
> Von: "Salvati, Jean" <[email protected]>
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: st: RE: RE: Prober Instrument  for GMM xtabond2

Giovanni S.F. Bruno
http://ideas.repec.org/e/pbr136.html
Istituto di Economia Politica, Universit� Bocconi
Via U. Gobbi, 5, 20136 Milano
Italy
tel. + 02 5836 5411
fax. + 02 5836 5438