st: RE: RE: Prober Instrument for GMM xtabond2

From   "Salvati, Jean" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Prober Instrument for GMM xtabond2
Date   Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:46:52 -0400

The Arellano-Bond paper is actually very clear about this. All the Arellano-Bond orthogonality conditions are established under the assumption that the error term in the levels equation is not autocorrelated. The purpose of the Arellano-Bond autocorrelation test is to test this assumption. If the error term in the levels equation is not autocorrelated, then the error term in the first-difference equation has negative first-order autocorrelation, and 0 second order autocorrelation.

If you reject the hypothesis that there is 0 2nd order autocorrelation in the residuals of the first-difference equation, then you also reject the hypothesis that the error term in the levels equation is not autocorrelated. This indicates that the AB orthogonality conditions are not valid--no matter which lags you use as instruments.

Jean Salvati