st: Re: Panel Dataset

From   "Rodrigo A. Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Panel Dataset
Date   Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:05:21 -0400

Try

egen Id=group(Team)
tsset Id Year

R.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 10:30 AM
Subject: st: Panel Dataset

Dear Sir/Madam

I am a student at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in South African, and am
currently working on my honours thesis focussed on production functions for
cricket teams. I am using the stata package for statistical analysis.

I have a panel dataset with a series of observations for each team each
season.
eg.
Team              Year
Boland            1995  (observed values for various variables)
  "               1995                     "
  "               1995                     "
  "               1996                     "
  "               1996                     "
  "               1996                     "
  "               1997                     "
  "               1997                     "
                   etc.
Eastern Province  1995                     "
                  1995                     "
                  1996                     "
                  1996                     "
                  etc.
I want to run a linear regression on the panel data but have encountered
problems of "repeated time values" within the panel and "string variable not
allowed" when trying to specify the time variable as "year". How can I get
around this problem given that I have several observations for each
different
team for any particular year? Can I somehow respecify the "year" variable in
stata?

Kind Regards
Neil Balchin