st: Re: Dispersion of workplace years of education

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Dispersion of workplace years of education
Date   Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:27:39 +0100

Peter,

You can try:

bys firm: egen dispEdu = mean(abs(Edu_firm_level - Edu_ind_level))

Best,
Rafa

----- Original Message ----- From: "peter harper" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: st: Dispersion of workplace years of education

Dear Statalist

Clarification of my question on dispersion of workplace years of education: The dispersion measure is the average of absolute differences between own education (across random sample of workers) and mean workplace education.

I am working on a cross-section dataset, with different firms and different individuals. How would one generate a variable which would provide a dispersion of workplace years of education: absolute mean diff. across workers based on Ei. The dispersion measure is the average of absolute differences between own education, eij (across the random sample of workers) and mean workplace education, Ej.

Sigma (this is the greek letter for sum)|(Ej - eij)|/nj

where eij = workers years of education, i = worker and j = firm and Ej is given below.

I already have a variable for mean workplace years of education called Ej: which is based on percentage of the workforce in each of the k occupations times average years of education for that occupation from worker respondents.

Thanks
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/