Re: st: RE: RE: Another reshape wide question

From   "Amber Katz" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Another reshape wide question
Date   Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:22:29 -0400

Hi Nick,

I did read these pages before I got to this list, and they were very
helpful.  Let me be more specific about my problem with an example:

Suppose that, for each individual and for each round, I have the
following variables:
OpinionA OpinionB OpinionC.  Now suppose I have many variables that
are individual-specific and do not differ among products: Gender,
Married, Nationality, etc.

What I'd like is to have the variable in form:
ID Opinion1A-Opinion3A Opinion1B-Opinion3B Opinion1C-Opinion3C Gender
Married Nationality.

So I need to do a reshape long on the opinion variables by product (A,
B, and C).  I'd like to do this without generating GenderA-GenderC,
MarriedA-MarriedC and NationalityA-NationalityC variables as I have
many of these.

My data was originally in long form, so I did a renvars and reshape
wide (on the subvariable "round"), and the data is now of form
ID Opinion1A-Opinion3A [Opinion*B and Opinion*C blank] Gender1-3
Married1-3 Nationality1-3
ID [Opinion*A and Opinion*C blank] Opinion1B-Opinion3B  Gender1-3
Married1-3 Nationality1-3
ID [Opinion*A and Opinion*B blank] Opinion1C-Opinion3C  Gender1-3
Married1-3 Nationality1-3

I'd like to convert into the long form (by product) specified above.

Thanks very much,
Amber