st: Re: RE: Re: RE: compute elasticity: Probit VS LPM

From   "Feng Liu" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Re: RE: compute elasticity: Probit VS LPM
Date   Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:38:13 -0400

I have tested your example code. I can see that y is strongly affected by
x1. But I am not sure why that would make me to trust the mfx results from
Probit instead of OLS.
Besides, my own method is based on Probit regression and the definition of
elasticity. I wonder how Stata compute elasticity after Probit?
d(logy)/d(logx)?

Thanks!

Feng

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:16 PM
Subject: st: RE: Re: RE: compute elasticity: Probit VS LPM

> Feng:
> What is causing the difference between linear approximations (OLS and your
method) and probit is the very strong effect of x1. One way to see this is
to look at the predicted probabilities for different values of x2 and x1,
which you can get by using -prgen- from -spost- and create a graph of the
predicted probability versus x2. You can also plot your linear approximation
using the -twoway function- command and compare the two. See example code
below. You can see that you have a very extreme example and that you should
not trust results from OLS in this case.