st: Diagnostics for instrumental variables (IV) models

To   "Philip Rego" <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   st: Diagnostics for instrumental variables (IV) models
Date   Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:03:44 -0400

Following email conventions, the response precedes the Q:

Note that -ivreg2- and -overid- and -ivendog- are all from the
same source, the development team of C. F. Baum, M. E.
Schaffer, and S. Stillman, and appear in SJ 3(1):1--31 and
SJ 4(2):224 and SJ 5(4):607 (hence are available from SSC).
The main advantage of -ivreg2- is that it is just like -ivreg- but
with bells and whistles for IV, and more models built in.

What I am recommending is a test for "weak instruments"
which is entirely distinct from testing for endogeneity or using
the overidentification restrictions to test the validity of subsets
of excluded instruments. You should perform *all three* types
of tests whenever you run an instrumental variables model.

When you specify the option ffirst, the minimum eigenvalue of
the Cragg-Donald statistic is reported, and you can compare
that number to the table in Stock and Yogo (2002) to see how
much you have to worry about weak instruments. This start
of this explanation is in the help file for -ivreg2- and the middle
is in Stock and Yogo (2002):

Stock, J. H. and M. Yogo. 2002.
"Testing for weak instruments in linear IV regression."
NBER Technical Working Paper 284.
http://www.nber.org/papers/T0284.

The end is still being written:
http://ksghome.harvard.edu/~JStock/ams/websupp/index.htm