RE: st: manipulating matrix elements

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: manipulating matrix elements
Date   Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:34:16 +0100

Thanks for the references. I found the second reference
once I had worked out that the volume number is 107.

Martin does, as you say, use the quantity

	SUM p ln p + ln #cells

In fields I know a bit about, it is more common
to use

	- SUM p ln p = H

as a basic quantity. This is what is used in
my program -ineq- on SSC, for example.

Also, if this H is based on K categories, it can vary
between 0 and ln K, so a simple scaling is H / ln K.
(In the limiting case of a single category with p = 1,
you have to trap the 0 / 0 calculation.) There is
no assumption or approximation in this.

I am not clear that this is what you doing, but no
matter.

Looking at my little program, it is easy to generalise
it so that it can take one variable or two. This is me
modifying the program so it does things I sometimes
want to do, no more.

*! 1.0.0 NJC 30 March 2006
program myentropy, rclass
	version 9
	syntax varlist(min=1 max=2) [if] [in] [fweight aweight]

	marksample touse
	qui count if `touse'
	if r(N) == 0 error 2000

	tempname matname
	tab `varlist' [`weight' `exp'] if `touse', matcell(`matname')
	mat `matname' = `matname' / r(N)
	mata: subroutine("`matname'")
	di
	di as txt "entropy      " as res %7.4f r(entropy)
	di as txt "scaled [0,1] " as res %7.4f r(scaled)
	return scalar entropy = r(entropy)
	return scalar scaled = r(scaled)
end

mata:
void subroutine(string scalar matname)
{
	real matrix 	X
	real scalar	H
	X = st_matrix(matname)
	H = -sum(X :* ln(X))
	scaled = H == 0 ? 0 : H / ln(rows(X) * cols(X))
	st_numscalar("r(entropy)", H)
	st_numscalar("r(scaled)", scaled)
}
end