Re: st: the math function, sum( ), and missing

Subject   Re: st: the math function, sum( ), and missing
Date   Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:50:10 -0500

The -replace x=sum(x)- command you discuss is perhaps easiest to think
about in steps, with a column for each step, though this is not what
the C code that actually does -replace- is doing, I suspect:
    obs   x   step1   step2
      1   1       1       1
      2   .       0       1
      3   .       0       1
      4   1       1       2
      5   .       0       2
      6   .       0       2
      7   1       1       3
      8   .       0       3
but if you think about -replace x=exp- being equivalent to -gen
step2=exp- followed by -replace x=step2- I think the logic is
inescapable.  And the fact that the sum() function treats missing
values as adding zero to the running sum explains the presence of the
step1 column above, since you could also write 5 lines of code to
replace x=sum(x):
. gen step1=x
. replace step1=0 if mi(step1)
. gen step2=sum(step1)
. replace x=step2
. drop step1 step2
where of course the first two could be made one command via the cond()
function, but that would defeat the purpose ot being as verbose as
possible.