Re: st: RE: RE: RE: list subjects with a similar value

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: list subjects with a similar value
Date   Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:04:36 -0800

Neal, I'm sorry wasn't clear with my question. What I am looking for are guidelines for the structure of writing do files to document work. Michael

At 05:14 PM 3/22/2006, you wrote:

On 3/23/06, Michael McCulloch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jennifer response brings to mind a question that recently occurred to me:
> Is there a Stata-compatible text editor that, like MS-WORD, can highlight
> changes?

Although I don't use it myself there are version control features in
Emacs.  These work with programming control systems such as CVS or
SVN, and I'm not sure what your mileage would be writing do/ado files
under such schemas, but I suspect it is possible (don't quote me on
that though :).

This isn't exactly the same as M$-words document tracking (which
personally I find hideously hard to follow, particularly when there
are multiple authors making revisions, I've seen some docs that end up
looking like the old TV-test screens :-), but it does allow you to
track the changes that you are making.  One of the main problems (as I
see it) is that to write do/ado-files you need a _text_ editor, and
word is not a text-editor, but a word-processor, so all the colour
changes that you see are essentially mark-ups of the original text,
and such mark-ups would render the Stata code uninterpretable.

See http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/Version-Control.html
for more on Emacs' VC system.

Personally if you want to be able to revert to older versions of files
I'd recommend simply creating a copy before doing major revisions and
simply append a date in numeric format at some point to the filename
(before '.' would be most appropriate).

HTH's

Neil
--
"The best safety device in climbing is always situated between your
ears" - Ross Weiter, Perth Rock Climbing Guide (2002)

Email - [email protected] / [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/
Blog - http://slack---line.blogspot.com/
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/

Best wishes,
Michael

Michael McCulloch
Pine Street Clinic
124 Pine Street, San Anselmo, CA 94960-2674
tel     415.407.1357
fax     415.485.1065
email:  [email protected]
web:    www.pinest.org