Re: st: left-truncation of entry in survival analysis

From   Jonathan Sterne <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: left-truncation of entry in survival analysis
Date   Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:11:59 +0000

This is how I think about possible ways to use stset to analyse a
longitudinal study. For further discussion of these issues please see
Part D of Essential Medical Statistics by Kirkwood and Sterne.

In the following, variable exitdate contains each subject's date of
exit from the study. Variable examdate contains subjects' date first
examined, and variable dob contains subjects' date of birth. All these
variables are integer date variables counted in days since 1/1/1960:
type help dates for details. Variable y contains the follow up time in
years, and d contains the outcome.

1. Simplest possible use of stset, when time in study (y) has already
been derived:

stset y, failure(d)

2. Equivalent, using dates of entry and exit directly

stset exitdate, failure(d) origin(examdate) scale(365.25)

In methods 1 and 2, time 0 (the origin) is the time of entry to the
study. These methods are appropriate for studies following individuals
from a particular event such as diagnosis of disease or recruitment to
a randomised trial.

3. Using date of birth, entry date and exit date to count time in
years of age:

stset exitdate, failure(d) enter(examdate) scale(365.25) origin(dob)

Method 3 is likely to be appropriate for long term studies in which
subjects' age, rather than the time that they have been in the study,
is likely to be the most important determinant of their risk of
disease. This method implies that subjects enter the study at
different times (delayed entry).

4. Counting from a fixed point in time.

When you type:

stset exitdate, failure(d) enter(examdate) scale(365.25)

time is counted from a fixed point of 1/1/1960, with entry to the
study at each subjects examdate. This is unlikely to be sensible, but
a small modification would allow us to count time from a fixed date.
This would be useful if we were following subjects from the time of a
particular incident such as an environmental disaster. If the date of
interest was 17 June 1966, we could type:

gen origdate=mdy(6,17,1966)
stset exitdate, failure(d) enter(examdate) origin(origdate) scale
(365.25)

Method 4 is rarely used, but would be useful in a study that followed
subjects from the time of a particular incident, but with delayed
entry at different times after the incident.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Jonathan Sterne