st: group mean pooling VAR

From   James Mahon <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: group mean pooling VAR
Date   Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:39:41 -0500

Dear statalist,
I'm trying to do group mean pooling of VAR regression results across an unbalanced panel (id1, year).  When I try to take the first step, creating the pool of coefficients, I used statsby, but Stata tells me I haven't tsset.  I get this:

. tsset id1 year
       panel variable:  id1, 1 to 208
        time variable:  year, 1966 to 2002, but with a gap

. statsby _b , by(id1) saving(varDT): varbasic ICRGliberal DirTax year, lags(1/
> 2)
(running varbasic on estimation sample)
time variable not set, use -tsset varname ...-
an error occurred when statsby executed varbasic
r(111);

Am I doing something wrong, and/or has someone on the list written a good routine for group mean pooling of VAR regressions across a panel?
Thanks.
Jim Mahon