RE: st: corrupted png files in 64-bit Stata 9 for Windows?

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: corrupted png files in 64-bit Stata 9 for Windows?
Date   Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:49:46 -0600

Anders Alexandersson ([email protected]) asks about PNG files
created by Stata 9 for 64-bit x86-64 Windows:
> I'm unable to create valid PNG files with -graph export- in 64-bit
> Stata 9 for Windows. Is it a bug in 64-bit Stata 9 for Windows?
>
> After I have created a graph, I use -graph export fig1.png, replace-
> and Stata creates the file fig1.png and writes the note "(file
> fig1.png written in PNG format)". But the file cannot be open in the
> latest versions of Internet Explorer or Firefox on my computer using
> 64-bit Windows XP (x86), service pack 1. It can be open fine with
> Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and Windows Explorer displays the
> thumbnail picture fine.

I have just reproduced this and verified that it is a bug.  It
appears that Stata 9 for 64-bit x86-64 Windows is putting valid
data in PNG files it creates, but is filling in an incorrect
checksum value to 'validate' that data.

Windows Explorer and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer are ignoring the
checksum, and can thus display the PNG without a problem.  IE and
Firefox are looking at the checksum before trying to display the PNG
data.

This will be fixed in the next executable update.

Alan
([email protected])