RE: st: Wald Chi-Square in Logistic with Cluster Option

From   "Indro, Daniel" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Wald Chi-Square in Logistic with Cluster Option
Date   Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:34:20 -0500

Thanks to both Clive and Richard for clarifying the above subject.  To
identify the problem further, I did the following:

I ran -collin- and found several collinear variables.  Although these
are not main variables of interest, I included them to control their
effects.  Removing them and rerunning the regression made the Wald
Chi-Square even higher.

I managed to identify one variable whose removal made the chi-square
statistic look more reasonable.  This is a year dummy variable, included
as a control.  Combining this variable with another year dummy produced
more sensible chi-square results.

I also ran the regression without the cluster option.  The results gave
me a reasonable chi-square.  However, some of the variables that I
controled for did not come out significant.

So, it seems to me that the problem could be due to clustering, or the
inclusion of one particular year dummy variable, or both.  I checked
Section 8.3 of Hosmer-Lemeshow book, have exhausted references to
cluster option from the Stata website, and am wondering if someone could
provide me with additional citations to help me learn more about this
subject.  Also, what is the relationship between the number of
observations within a cluster and the number of independent variables?
Is there any specific requirement that the former be larger than the
latter, or is this an irrelevant issue?

Thanks,
Daniel Indro