Re: st: RE: lazy -ml-!

From   "Stas Kolenikov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: lazy -ml-!
Date   Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:28:55 -0600

Alan,

Indeed, with all zeroes, the log likelihood is = . (as it should be in
my model). I tried it with my starting values, with Stata's random
search, whatever -- it is just going that way. It may have to do with
a constraint I am imposing -- I am fixing one of the parameters, and
for some reason Stata does not respect that in the random search
(which I think is a bug!!!), so when it switches from -ml search- to
-ml max-, it loses a few hundreds in the log-likelihood. That must
puzzle -ml-; it then takes regressively smaller steps trying to crawl
back to the nice value it had, and fails.

My previous experience with -ml- was that is was able to incorporate
the constraint successfully.

On 3/9/06, Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311) <[email protected]> wrote:
> Stas - Have you tried changing your initial values? I believe if you
> don't specify them they default to being zero. If the log likelihood
> evaluated at all zeros has partials that are also zero, the procedure
> may not be able to find a place to go next.
>
> Al Feiveson

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name