st: RE: how to compare two skewed distributions, or calculate confidence intervals for quantiles of each?

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: how to compare two skewed distributions, or calculate confidence intervals for quantiles of each?
Date   Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:21:33 -0000

percentiles or percentile differences (which are a slightly different
thing).

If you want to derive confidence intervals for differences between
percentiles, then a good method might be the percentile bootstrap, with
a suitably large number of replicate samples. In Stata, type

whelp bootstrap

to find about the bootstrap. If instead you prefer to calculate
confidence intervals for percentile differences, then you might use the
program -cendif-, which is part of the -somersd- package, downloadable
from SSC using the -ssc- command in Stata. This calculates robust
confidence intervals for median differences, and for other percentile
differences. The -somersd- package includes a manual -cendif.pdf-, in
which the concepts are explained and demonstrated.

I hope this helps.

Roger

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
POSTAL ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
St Mary's Campus
Norfolk Place
London W2 1PG
STREET ADDRESS:
National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London
47 Praed Street
Paddington
London W1 1NR
TELEPHONE: (+44) 020 7594 0939