st: RE: Windows: read-only directory error

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Windows: read-only directory error
Date   Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:14:43 -0000

Fred is starting us a down a slippery slope
with the best of intentions.

Forget that this is Windows and whatever
prejudices you have about that as an operating system
(OS). The same principle should apply to all OS here.

In general, whenever Stata gets a message
from an OS, it should report it.

Sometimes, like Stata on occasion, an OS gets confused or sends
a misleading or even incorrect message, and Fred
has a good example here.

But once Stata starts trying to be smarter than the OS,
things get more complicated. On the whole, unless Stata
can be certain that the OS is wrong, and I suspect that
is rarely if ever true, it really shouldn't try to act as
intermediary or interpreter.

So I would go the other way on this.

Fred Wolfe