st: question about svy commands

From   Anant Thaker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: question about svy commands
Date   Tue, 7 Mar 2006 00:48:48 -0500

Hello all,

New to the list and a Stata SE/8 user. I have survey data that is organized at
the individual level, roughly like this:

Var1  Var2  State  Weight
1.
2.
3.

I want to create a new variable, Var4, that has the mean of Var1 for whatever
state the individual is in. For example, if the first observation is in New
York, I want the new variable to have a Var4 that has the mean value of Var1
for NY. However, I need to incorporate the weights, so I was wondering if I
should use the survey commands? Is there a way to do this? Is it something
along the lines of egen var4 = svymean var1 [if var1==...

Not too sure how to do this, so please help! Thanks!

Best,
Anant Thaker

--
Anant Thaker