st: RE: How to convert a MATA matrix into a STATA matrix?

From   [email protected] (William Gould, Stata)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: How to convert a MATA matrix into a STATA matrix?
Date   Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:14:18 -0600

Ulrich Kaiser <[email protected]> ask,

> My Mata code is
>
>    mata
>    m_all 	= st_matrix("all")
>    nom	= m_all[1...,2]
>    denom	= m_all[1...,3]
>    denom	= (denom:/denom)-denom
>    lr 	= nom :/ denom
>    out	= m_all[1...,1], lr, m_all[1...,4], m_all[1...,5]
>    end
>
> and I'd like to turn "out" into data format.
>
> Any ideas?

The "Mata Matters" column in the next Stata Journal deals with exactly
this problem.  The title of the column is "Creating new variables"
with the subtitle, "Sounds boring, isn't", although I don't know if the
editors let me keep that last part.

Anyway, I suggest Uli read that, because I hada lot to say, all of it relevant.

In the meantime, let me provide a crude solution to Uli's problem.

First thing, Uli, is to create the variables in the Stata dataset
to hold the columns of out.  In what follows, I will assume those
variables are named x1, x2, and x3.

Second thing, I assume that the Stata dataset has the number of observations
as out has rows.

Given that, one solution is

        st_store(., ("x1", "x2", "x3"), out)

See [M-5] st_store().