Re: st: Fonts in dialog boxes / linux

From   [email protected] (James Hassell, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fonts in dialog boxes / linux
Date   Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:00:23 -0600

(Michael Hills wrote)
>On changing from Fedora Core to Debian I found that the font size in the
>dialog boxes had increased so that the text sometimes failed to fit in
>the space allowed.
>
>Is there any way of altering the font size for dialog boxes from within
>stata? If not, does anyone know how this might be done from within
>debian?

I have read on various message boards that there are font issues with Debian
and applications written using the GTK1.2 toolkit.  Stata's UNIX GUI is written
with that toolkit, so it is not surprising that you are seeing this problem.
I have read where some have suggested that this is a bug with Debian and can
be specific to your locale.  Without looking deeper into that, let me suggest
a direct approach for correcting the issue. You should be able to set the
font used by all GTK1.2 widgets if you create or edit the -.gtkrc.mine- file
in your home directory. (In some cases the file is .gtkrc and not .gtkrc.mine)

The file should contain something similar to the following:

style "user-font"
{
        font="-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

There may be a program on your machine called -xfontsel-, which can be used
to generate a font definition that is appropriate for your system.

One other note... On most systems you can place this information in the
/etc/gtk/gtkrc file so that the changes occur system wide (all users).

Also, you will need to restart xstata after you make changes to see any effect.

James Hassell
StataCorp