st: Storing infinite confidence intervals in Stata matrices

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   "statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Storing infinite confidence intervals in Stata matrices
Date   Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:50:58 -0000

Fellow Statalisters (especially StataCorp):

I have a query about Stata matrices (as distinct from Mata matrices). In
some of my programs, I store confidence intervals in Stata matrices with
1 row per confidence interval and columns containing the point
estimates, the lower limits and the upper limits. Sometimes, confidence
limits should be plus or minus infinity (eg the Clopper-Pearson CI for
the log odds, the Mehta CI for the log odds ratio, the Hodges-Lehmann
median difference). In a previous discussion with Nick Cox and Bill
Gould in the Stata 6 era, I was advised to use very high-magnitude
numbers (+1e+300 or -1e+300) to represent infinite confidence limits.
Under Stata 9, we presumably might prefer to use plus or minus
c(maxdouble), which is approximately 8.99e+307 in my Stata. These can be
inserted into Stata matrices, as in the following example (in the