st: Mlogit and cross validation

From   Sheela Athreya <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Mlogit and cross validation
Date   Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:13:26 -0600

Hello,

I have a question about using multinomial logit--it's more of a theoretical than technical question, but I am hoping someone who uses this method can help.

I am using multinomial logit in the same way that biologists use discriminant function analysis--in this case, to determine the posterior probability of group membership of a set of 200 skulls, each of which is given an a priori assignment to one of five groups.

When using DFA, I know that it is necessary to cross-validate, i.e., do a "leave one out" classification so that the analysis is rerun (in this case) 200 times, each time leaving one specimen unclassified so that it doesn't influence the matrix structure and, by extension, its own posterior probability values.

Is it necessary to do the same with multinomial logit? And if so, is there a way to do it in Stata that does not require me to do it by hand?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sheela

*******************************
Sheela Athreya, Ph.D.