st: RE: Renaming varnames

From   "Jose Valderrama" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Renaming varnames
Date   Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:08:48 -0500

Try this option:

renvars,subs(_ "")

jos�.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] En nombre de Thomas
Speidel
Enviado el: Mi�rcoles, 25 de Enero de 2006 03:46 p.m.
Para: [email protected]
Asunto: st: Renaming varnames

I have a dataset whose variable names contain a varying amount of
trailing underscores (_).
Is there a way to rename all variable names without the trialing
underscores (other than renaming each individual variable)?

ILLNESS___      byte   %10.0g
SPECIMEN__      str12  %12s
HOSPITAL__      byte   %10.0g
TYPE______      byte   %10.0g
STAGE_____      str4   %9s
SIZE______      byte   %10.0g

This is what I have tried so far (unsuccessfully):

foreach v of varlist _all {
	gen `v'_underscore=strpos("`v'", "_")
	rename `v' `=substr("`v'", 1, `v'_underscore)'
}

Thomas
--
Thomas Speidel