Re: st: The number of variables is limited by Stata: tradeoff between larger database and smaller one?

Subject   Re: st: The number of variables is limited by Stata: tradeoff between larger database and smaller one?
Date   Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:34:13 -0600

If you have the funds, SE is certainly worth upgrading. Otherwise,
keeping the roster as the master set, and merging the topics is
probably the best option. -merge- is a somewhat more fool-proof and
advanced operation than -append-, and you can tune it up to your needs
with options like -keep()-, -unique-, etc. (or whatever the analogues
of those were with Stata 8, or use Wessie's -mmerge- instead).

On 1/25/06, Jia Xiangping <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> The database I'm doing is based on the questionnaires which have more
> than 10,000 variables. Because the version I'm using is Intercooled
> Stata 8, so I have to divide it into several sub-database in terms of
> topics concerned. At the beginning, I really enjoyed this style
> because it's convenient for me to process data with similar topic.
> However, problems come out when I further the data analysis. I have to
> merge the variables from one database to others, and sometime it's
> dirty and insecure.
>
> Hereinafter there are two options I can envision (may be there are
> some other alternatives which I don't know):
>
> 1. Establish a mother-database with all variables in it, and then
> -keep- the sections concerned.
>
> 2. Still having the sub-database and merge those you are interested in.
>
> If the advantages to apply the first approach obviously outweigh the
> second, I've got to purchase the SE version which can cope with 32,767
> variables.I have no experience in coping with such a tricky database.
> Are there anybody who can give me some suggestions on it? Thanks.
>

> --
> Xiangping JIA

Stas Kolenikov
http://stas.kolenikov.name