Re: st: Trying to do some multiple imputation

From   Nicola Orsini <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Trying to do some multiple imputation
Date   Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:26:19 +0100

Hi Rose,

this is an example of multiple imputation.

clear

* findfile cancer.dta

sysuse cancer

set seed 1234

* create some missing at random for the outcome variable died (0/1)

gen u = uniform()
replace died = . if u > 0.6
codebook died

* impute 5 times the outcome variable died using uvis
* every time generating a new variable (died1, died2, ..., died5)

forv i = 1(1)5 {
preserve

* specify a model to predict missing values
uvis logistic died drug age, gen(died`i')  seed(123695`i')
replace died = died`i'

* save a new dataset with the imputed dataset (canc1, canc2, ..., canc5)
save canc`i', replace
restore
}

* have a look at the imputed variables saved in the new datasets

forv i = 1(1)5 {
use canc`i', clear
tab died , miss
}

* set the imputed dataset before combine results
miset using canc

* specify the estimation command to be executed on each imputed dataset
* and get the overall estimates
mifit, indiv: logistic died drug age

Best,
Nicola

Mosi A. Ifatunji wrote:
Thanks Rose,

The thing is that I've done some reading on single and multiple imputation
and the literature seems to suggest that doing multiple imputation is much
better because your imputed values are informed by within and between
dataset variance. Therefore, although I am only trying to impute one value
(income), the -uvis- command does not seem appropriate, given that it
generates the new values without the benefit of between dataset variance,
because it does not generate new datasets. (Question: What is the real
difference between -impute- and -uvis-?).

So, I think I am trying to impute missing values for one variable, but I
would like to generate the multiple datasets from which to generate the new
values. If my variables were y x1 x2 x3 (with y being the variable with
missing values that I am trying to generate new values for) could you send
me and example of how I might do such a thing, from generating the multiple
datasets to getting the missing values imputed in the original dataset?

Any help would be wonderful,

M.